A popular outdoor dining experience which saw hundreds enjoy food and drink from some of Swansea’s most popular bars and restaurants under a big marquee is set to return later this year.
Bruno Nunes, owner of Creative Hospitality Group, has confirmed he and Gower Brewery owner Chris Mabbett are in talks with Swansea Council to bring Swansea Bay Pop-Up back to Singleton Park in August.
And if all goes to plan, it is set to be even bigger this time round, with a larger tent and more traders on hand to sell their food and drink.
Mr Nunes said: “We’ve just submitted the application and we are working with the council on the fine details.
“This time round we want to make it bigger and better. We were going to do it around Christmas and would have involved a few other Swansea businesses, but unfortunately we were not able to reopen, but this time around we want there to be even more.
“There is a lot of uncertainty around everything at the moment, but we hope we can do it in August, September and create a really nice alternative.”
Find out about events in your area:
The idea behind the pop-up is simple – socially-distanced tables within an outdoor space with plenty of food and drink choices for people to queue up, buy, then bring back to their table and enjoy.
The selection in last year’s event ranged from charcoaled chicken, wood-fired pizzas, ice cream, beer and much more.
It became the place of choice for many to enjoy a meet up with friends of family they may not have seen for some time due to lockdown restrictions. In fact, there were occasions when people walking up were turned away as it had been packed out to its limit.
Subscribe to the WalesOnline newsletter today
You can now get all of the need-to-know news sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our free WalesOnline newsletter.
It takes just seconds to subscribe – simply click here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Giving an idea of what the event may look like on its return, Mr Nunes said: “We’re looking at a bigger field capacity. Last time we had 28x40m, but this time we are looking at 40x56m.
“I’m pumped, I’m excited and really looking forward to this. A lot of people are still feeling a lot of anxiety and nerves, and it will be a welcome addition for many wanting to go out safely.
“There were nine businesses operating last year, and we’re looking to get another five to join us and get involved this year.
“It depends on social distancing and space, you have got to be careful not to overcrowd.
“Last year we worked tirelessly – putting something together for the first time is always quite difficult but we are proud of the work the team did.
“One of the key highlights was that people felt safe and were able to social distance.
“It was really nice hearing people say: ‘This is the first time I have left my house because I suffer from XYZ – but I feel safe here’. It made you stop and realise that some people had not left the house since March 23.
“It was nice to give people a place to come where they felt safe. A lot of little touches were put in place to put people at ease.”